LOVE PEOPLE, COOK THEM FOOD!

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Chocolate Gingerbread Bundt Cake

Since reading about the Pintester's "Christmas Pintester Movement", I have done nothing but look at Christmas themed boards on Pinterest. So now that I successfully have Christmas on the brain I wanted to make a Christmas-ish dessert. I don't know about you but the smell of gingerbread and cinnamon always gets me in the Christmas mood. And now that I feel like I've said the word Christmas a bajillion times, I can announce the deliciousness that is the chocolate gingerbread bundt cake (with a glaze!). 
Just A Taste is a great website where you can look up recipes by what ingredient you want to use!
For the cake:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup dark molasses
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 large eggs, whisked lightly
1/4 cup whole milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
For the glaze:
1 cup confectioners sugar, sifted
4 1/2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
After I preheated the oven to 325ºF I went the lazy route and skipped the cooking on the stove part and just melted my butter in the microwave and added everything (molasses, brown sugar, and 1/4 Cp water) in after that. That also allowed me to skip the letting it cool part. Lazy? Yes. Will it make a difference? I have no clue!

I then mixed the eggs and milk into the mixture and mixed my dry ingredients in a separate bowl. 
I love the way those spices look and smell. 

After that, I just mixed the dry ingredients into the wet ones and mixed in the chocolate chips.
I wasn't sure if I would have enough semi-sweet. Turns out I did!

I'm not sure if you can see those tiny air bubbles or not but I did what Kelly suggested and banged the bowl on the counter. It was really cool to watch and do! 

I popped it in the oven for half an hour and then let it cool in the pan. When it was cool enough, I turned it onto a plate and mixed my ingredients for the glaze. 
Unfortunately, my cake kinda split in half so I had to patch it up a bit. 

It may not be the prettiest cake ever but it tastes like Christmas, delicious gingerbread chocolate Christmas! 













No comments:

Post a Comment