LOVE PEOPLE, COOK THEM FOOD!

Monday, June 3, 2013

Croissant French Toast

My Sunday morning went a little like this: 
Mimi (aka grandma): Sophia, give me a morning kiss.
Sophia: No Mimi, I have no energy for kisses.

Big words coming from a 3 year old right? 
So I made a little something, off of my Pinterest board "Breakfast". It came out absolutely delicious! The strawberry weren't mooshy and it wasn't too sweet. Just perfect! 

I started with my syrup. 
You're supposed to use a quart of strawberries, but I used a pound, cut in fourths.
1/2 Cp Sugar
1/4 Orange juice or orange liqueur (I used orange + pineapple juice).  
1 ts Grated orange rind (I used 1 whole orange for this since I love zest). 

You throw it all into a pot, let it sit for 30 minutes. And then simmer for 5 minutes. The strawberries will still be firm and the sugar would have melted. If you want soft strawberries, you can always simmer longer. 
All my ingredients in the pot. Look at that beautiful zest! 
For the french toast, (with the help of my lovely assistant B) I only had 2 croissants so I used those and a few slices of raisin bread. 
Slice 4 croissants in half, lengthwise. (Or 8 slices of bread). 
Like so!
Mix up: 3/4 Cp Milk, 2 large eggs, and 1 tsp vanilla extract.
Like so! 



Add a tablespoon of butter to a large frying pan. Dip your croissant halves into the egg mixture and coat well. Fry in your pan! 
Lovely assistant right there! Nice big hands right?
They should look a little like this after frying them for about 2 minutes on each side, with your stove on medium heat. 

Add your strawberry syrup topping, a little powdered sugar, and maybe some whipped cream and BAM! Breakfast is served.

I would have used some whipped cream as well but it turns out, if it's in your fridge for too long, it actually CAN get moldy, even if it's in a can! 






No comments:

Post a Comment